Offroad Vehicle Adventure to Cape Reinga via 90 Mile Beach
Price from £72 per person
This is a Dune Rider off road adventure to Cape Reinga via 90 Mile Beach, leaving Paihia in the Bay of Islands, with a wonderful commentary on historic and cultural features.
Travel to the morning tea stop at Coopers Beach cafe (own expense) on the beautiful east coast. A short drive onto Waiharara brings us to the Kauri Gum Diggers ancient forest. This forgotten and realistic experience, highlight the gum digging boom that lasted 150 years and helped found the culture and diversity of the Northland area.
Travel to the Aupouri Pine Forest with its herds of wild horses, to arrive on the famous Ninety Mile Beach*. Here the vehicle drives non stop through a stream of 'quick sand' (a mix of water & sand) up to its axils. On arrival at the sand hill base, if you dare, or have the energy, take an exhilarating toboggan down the giant sand dune.
Next destination is Cape Reinga with magnificent views of Te Werahi beach down to Cape Maria Van Dieman. Watch the swirling waters of the Tasman Sea and the mighty Pacific Ocean as the two currents converge. The lighthouse and the Spirit Tree are reminders of what a sacred place the very top tip of New Zealand is. Stop at Houhara, then journey on to Wanui and the Ancient Kauri Kingdom to see beautifully turned wood products from the delightful Kauri wood.
The Mangonui Fish Shop fame stems from the fresh fish caught, filleted and served on the premises. We stop for afternoon tea/dinner (own expense). Enjoy the freshest fish and chips as the sea washes gently beneath your feet. Finally it's back to Kerikeri and Paihia, via the Stone Store and Kemp House.
- Early morning pick up at your accommodation
- Fascinating commentary by our local drivers
- Coastal cafe morning tea stop
- Gumdigger's Park guided tour (entry fee included)
- Freshly prepared lunch box (included in price)
- Drive along 90 Mile Beach with a stop to wet your feet
- Climb huge sand dunes and boogie board down
- Walk to Cape Reinga lighthouse and view the meeting of the Pacific Ocean and Tasman Sea
- Stop at the Ancient Kauri Kingdom
- Visit 'world famous' Mangonui Fish Shop (fresh fish and chips optional extra)
Daily Departures from selected Paihia Accommodation
Departure Time: 7:30am Duration: 11 hours approximately
Return Details: Concludes at original point of departure