On the north eastern tip of the South Island you'll find the Marlborough Sounds, one of the most beautiful and tranquil places in New Zealand. There are some wonderful walks through coastal bush, along the Queen Charlotte Walkway and, with around 1500 kms of waterways, inlets and coves, the area is a haven for sailing, sea kayaking, fishing and diving.
At the head of the Queen Charlotte Sound, nestled between the mountains and the sea is Picton, a charming seaside township which accommodates the region’s port, extensive marina facilities, visiting cruise ships and the ferry link with the North Island via the Marlborough Sounds and Cook Strait.
Thirty minutes drive from Picton lies Blenheim, the 'Sunshine Capital' of New Zealand and centre of the Marlborough wine region, one of the world's finest wine producing areas. There are some 35 wineries within 15 minutes drive of the town, many providing delightful settings in which to enjoy lunch or dinner.
MUST SEE & DO
- Take a Dolphin Watch Ecotour to see dolphins, penguins, seals and a variety of bird life
- Cruise on the crystal clear waterways of the Sounds
- Enjoy the numerous short bush walks to hidden beaches and lookouts
- Walk the Queen Charlotte Track
- Eat freshly steamed green-lipped mussels matched with a regional vintage
- Tour the vineyards and wineries and enjoy dining alfresco amongst the vines
- Explore Blenheim's parks and gardens
- Visit the regional galleries and craft studios