Central Otago is a region touched by history, with a powerful landscape of ancient mountains, weathered rock formations, alpine herb fields and fast rivers. It is New Zealand's most inland region with continental climatic extremes.
Retrace the steps of the hardy gold miners who carved their living from the harsh and often unforgiving environment. Relive their experiences in the museums and historic sites throughout the region.
MUST SEE & DO
- Walk, cycle or horse ride the country’s only Rail Trail, past productive farmlands, spectacular gorges, awesome schist rock and magnificent mountains
- Retrace the steps of hardy pioneers, through goldfields, historic sites, museum collections, and small towns with stone architecture
- Stop by orchard stalls of succulent summer fruits, and take a wine trail to fledgling vineyards of international repute
- Admire the first wildflowers of spring, and the stunning shades of autumn
- Experience cross-country skiing, water sports, mountain biking and multi-sport events
- Fish for salmon on the Clutha River, and trout in both the lakes and rivers
- Try the ancient winter ice sport of Curling, and visit the many exceptional art and craft galleries