Just 1.5 hours from Wellington over the Rimutaka Ranges is the Wairarapa Valley, fringed by mountains to the west and rugged coast to the east. Rolling vineyards, acres of apple orchards, fields of lavender, olive groves, heritage museums and quaint historic towns combine to make this a great destination.
Visit Martinborough, a charming, leafy, self styled wine village where you can walk to the many small wineries producing some of the finest Pinot Noir or explore rugged Palliser Bay with unique geographical features, native fur seals, Cape Palliser Lighthouse and the Ngawi fishing village.
MUST SEE & DO
- Enjoy a Tui HQ tasting and tour experience at the Tui Brewery
- See endangered native species at Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre
- Visit Greytown, a Victorian country village with metropolitan panache plus great food and coffee
- See the world’s last remaining Fell engine, on display at the Fell Locomotive Museum in Featherston
- Follow the wine trail and do a wine-tasting tour for some of New Zealand’s best wines from the family-owned vineyards around Martinborough
- Drive to Palliser Bay and see the spooky Putangirua Pinnacles, photogenic fur seals and Cape Palliser Lighthouse