The Waikato is a region of lush, green hills, bush and farmland, with exceptional surf on the West coast. Below the surface, miracles have been wrought with water and limestone forming vast cave systems, huge sink holes, underground streams and you can visit the magical limestone glowworm caves at Waitomo.
The Waikato is situated in the heart of the North Island. The main city, Hamilton, is located 90 minutes from Auckland and Rotorua. Cambridge, the centre of the thoroughbred industry is just 15 minutes away.
MUST SEE & DO
- Visit the Waitomo Glowworm Caves where the natural beauty of stalactites and stalagmites lit by the blue light of glow worms has to be seen to be believed.
- Visit the remnants of Hobbiton, the hobbit village created for the Lord of the Ring's movie trilogy on a Matamata sheep farm. View the hobbit holes and find out how the set was created on a guided tour.
- Wander around Hamilton Gardens, stunning themed gardens on the banks of the Waikato River
- Cruise the Waikato River on the MV Waipa Delta
- Tour a thoroughbred stud farm in Cambridge and here you can also see the New Zealand Horse Magic Show which provides world class equine entertainment