The Manawatu region, conveniently located half way between Rotorua and Wellington, combines the charm of rural New Zealand with the sophisticated provincial appeal of Palmerston North city.
The landscape sweeps dramatically from the Ruahine and Tararua mountain ranges, through the spectacular Manawatu Gorge and picturesque Pohangina Valley, along Manawatu River to the coastal plains of Tangimoana and Himatangi. The region enjoys a mild climate, providing fantastic growing conditions for the many public, world-class gardens.
Experience country life and the excitement and atmosphere of a real stock auction - one of New Zealand's oldest traditions dating back to the 1880s. Or find a farm stay and meet third and fourth generation farmers with a passion for the land.
MUST SEE & DO
- Have fun white water rafting, kayaking and jet boating on the Rangitikei River
- Spend a day at Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre, where some of New Zealand's endangered species are bred and returned to the wild
- Visit Pukepuke Lagoon and Ashhurst Wetlands to see fascinating plant and bird life
- Stop at the Dugald McKenzie Rose Breeding and Trialling Centre in Palmerston North which is a scented paradise in spring and summer
- Walk or bike the historic bridle track that runs beside the Manawatu River
- Enjoy a couple of hours at The Herb Farm's themed gardens, therapeutic body products shop and café
- Visit Kimbolton, an enchanting rural township set high above the Manawatu Plains. It offers wonderful views of Kapiti Island and is home to world-renowned rhododendron gardens
- Pass through Feilding, frequently called New Zealand's most beautiful town with the largest stock sale yards in the Southern Hemisphere. It also has great cafés and a farmers' market every Friday
- At Himatangi you'll find New Zealand's largest sand dune field